Thursday, September 11, 2008

Negative Space



Hans Haacke: The 9-11 Poster Project

Hans Haacke's Poster Project appeared on scaffolding's and walls throughout New York City from March 11-25, 2002. I don't recall ever seeing or actually noticing these Posters throughout the city because I was oblivious to detailed and everything other than Yugi-oh cards and video games. I was about 12 or 13.

On the 7th year anniversary of Sept. 11th, I almost forgot what today was and what happened. No intention is made to say that the event is done and over with or even minuscule because it affected me directly also. It just shows how well we (I) coped with the event. In addition, being out here in Connecticut is almost a breath of fresh air - just being away from a direct connection with the "negative space" in the city.

Personally, I think Hans Haacke's Posters effectively describe/portray Sept. 11th better than any poster or "We Will Never Forget" slogan. Such a simple design represents so many different things as did Sept. 11th. He uses the negative space as a symbol of the missing tower - that is what I saw when I first looked. When you first look, you also notice what is behind his poster. And that is where I feel he best portrayed 9-11. Everybody was simply living their lives, carrying out there day-to-day activities. I remember me and my cousin was just getting on the train at Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall, my brother was in class in Lower Manhattan, all my friends were still at school, and so-on.

Creative Time offers the Poster Project as a screen saver, the underlying background occupies the void. Creative Time

No comments: