Sunday, September 7, 2008

Flash vs. Photoshop vs. Illustrator

The first week of school came ended moderately quick for me: the week began with IDD 301 - Animation and Motion Graphics and ended with Sci 101 on Thursday. Complete opposites.

The first assignment for IDD was to draw a beach ball in three programs, Flash, Photoshop, and Illustrator, easy enough? And then to animate all three in Flash. When the assignment was proposed I didn't really see any major difficulties to keep me from doing the assignment, but little did I know illustration in Flash is completely different from illustrating in Photoshop or Illustrator.

From completely illustrating with platforms I know, Flash came to me as a surprise. In Flash, the pen tool acts completely different from that of Photoshop or Illustrator. As I am trying to illustrate the beach ball as best as I could I pen tool just wouldn't curve as directed. And with my meticulous nature, I could'nt get over this hump until I firgured out how to make it rounded.

Again, illustrating in Photoshop and Illustrator is completely different from Flash. Photoshop being a universal designing program, I use it for nearly everything I do. I felt so much more comfortable illustrating this beach ball in Photoshop, and it shows in the performance of my work. As for Illustrator, I feel I don't know the program good enough to top the performance of my work in Photoshop.

No comments: